Skip to main content

People Are People and Some Art

Just a jumble of thoughts today.  But first some art!

This is a barn, store front, whatever that is on the side of a road that people (like me) bike on.  The facade is normal for this area where it's built-up organically with no specific architecture in mind.  It is what it is and produces a strong character when weathered to the point it's falling down.

Done in ink and greyscale-markers.

(just my thoughts and opinion below)

I was looking at my old company's web site and discovered a couple of things.

  • They are still selling and using the application I designed and wrote.  Even saw it in a video they released this summer.  It's really long in the tooth now and I tried to get it retired years ago.  Not good.
  • They appear to be rehashing the concept of using "Behavior Rules" to determine risk.  It failed before but hey, sure give it another go and see how that works.

No wonder the parent company off loaded to a private equity firm recently.  Nothing succeeds like failure.

The problem isn't that behavior isn't an indicator of risk, it is.  The problem is :

  • What defines what behavior is risky and how risky?  Some are easy, but there is an extremely large grey zone that could be be but mostly like not an indicator of risk.
  • If we have discovered with the currently political climate, people perceive things very very differently.  Behavior and risk can be very subjective and how people think, act, operator and response to events are very hard to define. 

So given that a large set of behaviors is defined and different risk levels are assigned and possible combinations for a given timeframe within a given context produces and alert.  Simple as pie.

Sounds good, sells even better, but....

The results of this "Pre-Cog" magic is a cascade of false positives.  Risk alerts and risk levels will overwhelm analysts monitoring the output.  It's exciting for the first couple of weeks, tracking down all the specifics in the resulting data until, maybe after a week or so, they dig thought enough hay without finding any needles.   Maybe it just needs to be tweaked? 

No problem, just adjust the risk and behavior monitoring and keep going with what you have learned.

<repeat the above steps forever>

People like to make progress.  If you give a person a task like bake a cake with a recipe that will fail, they will be unhappy.  If you keep replacing the recipe with others that also produce failed results, the baker will quickly stop trying altogether.  There needs to be some path to success.

The same applies to applying behavior analysts to large numbers of people (think staff) hoping that you stumble across the magic recipe to uncover "bad-actors" is a fruitless task.  At some point the operators will stop using the product and upper management will be asking if the ROI of the product is working.

Wonderful idea but in my opinion (and from prior experience) it's doomed to fail.  The product sells but results are lacking.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...