Skip to main content

Inspiration Not Copying

 Still working on my art.  Still tough.  Still moving.  Still copying.

Cut that last part.  When I try to copy a style or technique my results are, well, poor.  

Still Inspiration is better.

There are so many styles and everyone’s is different (mostly).  I can see parallels to this when I started fly fishing.  I didn't know what I was doing and my success rate was low and frustration level high.  It was nice to be out there but for a long time I didn’t think I was getting anywhere.  I copied the flys, I fished in the same area and the same line placement and handling, but not really.  I was copying but not understanding.  I had not yet reached a level of knowledge and technique for do my own thing.

Fast forward to today.  My fly fishing has greatly improved so that almost every time I go I catch at least 2 (and don’t break and ankle).  I’ve found my niche.  I don’t do all different techniques, just the ones I enjoy and it works for me.

I saw this when I was working too.  I had done software engineering for so long that I had worked out a zillion bugs, conditions and techniques that I understood what to do and how to do it without a whole lot of thought.  Maybe so much that it no longer holds my interest as I saw too many people copying with out understanding and thus causing so many problems.  Do they even teach what a “state machine” is anymore?  Glad I left.

Back to art and inspiration.  I’m re-learning to see and working to learn my own path.  Still playing with different tools and styles.  Yes I produce a lot of crap but once in a while a good one slips through and my path comes into a little better focus.

It’s the time put in.  I’ve got a lot of fishing in and still working on my time in art.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...