Skip to main content

Dangers In Retirement (or when you have lots of free time)

I've discovered that a danger in retirement (don't like this word) is all the time you have in perusing your own direction is the danger involved.  The danger I speak of is being injured by the activities you have chosen.  Offices are save and real accidents are rare but if you find yourself spending 10x - 20x more in the outdoors, playing tennis, biking, whatever, the chances of an accident go up.  


When working for a living (as opposed to living for a living), I would spend at most 1 day a week fishing and hiking.  That's about all the extra time I had.  But now I've been (before the incident) hiking about 3 days a week and fishing another 3 days (some combined).  Now hiking and fishing risks are low but they are much higher than sitting in an office.  So times the outdoor risk by 3x-6x, whatever and you start looking at when your number will come up.  

I have become a member of the "Broken Husbands Club" that my wife has started and already has a few members.  Legs, Back, Arms, lots of reasons for joining, lots of reasons to avoid joining.  Too late now.

Hadn't really looked at my risk behavior that way, until, the incident.  Now I will, during my healing process while maybe extending to about 6 months.  Fun times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...