Skip to main content

That's One Small Step....

 Ouch!

I knew it as soon as it happened.  I had been traveling the low water at the South Toe's headwaters. working my way upstream.  Caught a couple of fish as I'm working my way up.  When it happened I knew it was not good.  It was a small step onto another rock that went sideways.  Right foot, toe landed first then slipped to the left just as I was transferring all my weight onto it.  I was committed and down I went, with my right distal end of my Fibula on the lateral side taking the brunt of the weight.  


I was hoping for a sprain, but I suspected it was much worse.

I checked the different axis movement of my foot, all good there.  Up / down, left / right, tilt left / tilt right, ligaments appeared ok.  Sprain ???  hummm not so much.

I was on the far side of the river (large stream really) and needed to wade back over then go up the bank and to the gravel road about 100' away.  OK, did that.  Pain not too bad, but that was the easy part.

The gravel road is a forest service road that just happened to be open today and I had walked down about 1 mile of it.  I had seen some cars use it today, so I hoped I could get a ride back to the trailhead.  I walked about 1-1/2 blocks until a car was driving down.  I stood in the road flagging them to stop.  I made them stop.  There where nice and I got in with a mask on and the window down.

The drive back home with interesting as it was my right foot that was hurt.  I planned my breaking way ahead the whole 50minute drive back.

I called Bobbie 15minutes out and asked her to meet me at the medical clinic in Mars Hill.  You never want to get calls like this!

The x-rays showed the image above.  The good news was no soft tissue damage done and it was just the Fibula was fractured.  The bad news was it was in the Weber Zone B which means surgery would be required if the Fibula was not stable.  I was referred to an Orthopedic doctor for evaluation.  Fun times.

The next morning we saw Doctor King and got the final diagnosis.  The bone is stable and only a "boot" and no walking for 2 weeks, then a walking boot for an additional 4-6 weeks after that.

Happy days, no surgery, just a pain getting around the house for a while (a long while).  Bummer it's my right foot as driving is kinda out of the question but hey, driving is over rated anyway and Bobbie is nice to me.

So no more fishing for a few months.  Or hiking, or ????


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...