Skip to main content

What I Learn Each Time I Fly Fish

There are many reasons I fly fish, but among them is meditative.  I was telling Bobbie that Fly Fish is like rock climbing in that I'm totally focused on the task at hand but it's less dangerous.  To which Bobbie asked my if I've every been hurt when I used to rock climb (vs Broken Ankle Fly Fishing).  Nope, good point.

I fly fish instead of spin casting because I want to understand the fish, river, flys, etc. and not use a blunt instrument with its only goal of catching fish.

I've been fishing up in Bakersville for the last few weeks.  The creek is small (~10 feet wide), clear with sections of ripples, rocks and some pools.  I avoid the pools as the spin casters clean those out and I focus on the remaining sections.  For these I used a dry fly.  This is where the fly rides on the top of the water and the trout comes to the surface and grabs it.  With this action you can see the fish "rise", break the surface and head back down.  You get to see all the action. 

But it does not always happen this way.  

If the fly does not drift just right with the current, the fish will notice.  If the fish notices the fly is not real with the touch of its mouth, it will spit it out and notice.  If you are not quick enough with setting the hook, the fish will not be caught.  If the fly goes under the surface of the water the fish will not bite.  If the fly drifts too far to the left or right of the fish it will not go after it.  After the nth cast to the same fish and spot the fish will have moved on or ignore your fly (you need to then wait about 20min to try again)

A lot needs to go right for dry fly fishing to succeed.  It's not just a number game where the more casts you through to higher percentage of hooks.

I do a lot of casts in different areas to see if I can even find where the fish are.  I kind of know where they should be, but these casts may tell me if there are really any fish there.  I look for any type of movement in the water under or near my fly.  If there is, then I focus on the spot and try to get them to grab my fly.  Focus, focus, focus.

Now my trip to East Fork Pigeon yesterday is a wild trout stream with rocks, pools ripples, etc.  These fish are also going after dry flys (or at least that's what I was using), but it's very different fishing.

Wild fish are spooked very easily so I can just lean over a section and look for them.  They see me before I see them.  When I do see them it's already too late and I see them scoot away.  So that leaves me with focusing on casting where they should be and casting further away so I don't spook them.  If there is a hatch (of bugs) going on then I may spot them grabbing real bugs, but if not it's just casting with a good "drift" into likely spots.

I did ok with my first time into East Fork of the Pigeon river.  I caught 3 and lost 1 there.  But it was hard work, lot's of focusing of the cast, drift and walking in the river on rocks.  

My point is that every day fly fishing is different and you need to adjust based on location and conditions.  And for that you need to put in a lot of days.  Days where nothing works and some that it does.  My goal is not to catch and keep trout but to understand myself, the water and the trout.  This keeps me out of trouble.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...