Skip to main content

What The Future Holds

 I really don’t have a clue what the future holds, but we can also make plans.


My art work keep making progress.  My first (test?) printing (3 different ones) of 5x7 postcards of my barn drawings arrived and they look pretty good.  So good that I’ve ordered another printing of 2 other barns to make a complete set of 5 with different barns on each one.  When these come in I’ll linkup my online store for ordering sets.  The orders will be for sets only as it’s not worth it for orders of a single card.

I’m working with the local Madison County Visitors center and they have bought some for the visitors center.  The barns are from Madison County so that makes sense.  The cost is minimal, but I’m working on that.

I made the postcards large (still work with postcard stamps) 5x7 so that they could be frames if so desired (as shown here).  So the postcard is and is not just a postcard.

I’ve asked around (art stores, folk style) for what they would charge and the response is about 3-3.50 / card (this far).  I send a number of them to friends and family as they are postcards after all and got an interesting response.

A friend of mine back in Utah whom is a working artist for many decades has been following my progress and received one of my postcards.  What he brought up gave me a lot to think about.

He thought that if I wanted to, that I could start approach galleries to see if they would be interesting is working with me to sell my art.  First, this blew me away that a working artist (he’s in 2 galleries is different western states) would think that my art work work in a gallery setting (folk art style).  We spoke at length (a brain dump on his side) about the Artist / Gallery relationship.  To summaries some of what was talked about is this :

You need a portfolio of work that held together with a theme and style.  Check.

You need a style that is somewhat unique.  Check.

Galleries are looking for a relationship that can provide, a stream of new work (hey it’s all new), update information (web, blog, etc.) and a commitment (no other local galleries).

Don’t hang your work in local restaurants, bars, etc. to act as their decor, as their customer are not there to buy art.  

This last statement has been echoed from other information (pod cast, books) about selling your work.  Don’t sell yourself short and focus.   

I’m kind of at a threshold right now.  I’m not too interesting in selling my work (I like to keep it around), but before too long I’ll have more than I can look at.  I have some time before I can (if I want to) to decide to really start selling.  I’m on a list of artists for a benefit show this coming fall, so I may just keep plugging away and start selling postcards sets from my website.  Who knows if I’ll ever start really selling my artwork (I’ve given a couple of pieces away already), but it’s nice to think that there are people out there that believe in my work!

It’s an interesting door the future has presented to me.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...