Skip to main content

Old Saggy, Aren't We All

 Drawing these barns has led me to reflect on life.  We have limited lifespans, will return to the earth and we change as we age and that shapes our lives.   Life is not perfect.  It's wonderful and imperfect. 

I don't try to draw all the detail or even draw all that well.  I miss lines, dimensions may be off and perspective is not perfect, but the feeling comes through.  Thank goodness not being perfect is an asset sometimes.  In some fields perfection is required (surgeon, pilot, etc.) and there are checklists and backups in those areas that demand it (yes).  I worked in a profession where perfection was expected but not supported (Software Engineering).  There are always lawsuits where some company is not found to be perfect (Apple Batteries, bugs, etc.) even though what they are doing is incredible hard and consumers expect new features quickly.  Do not expect perfection.

I once was in charge of a flagship product for a company and we had just finished coding.  The owner told me that they expected my testing for bugs to be perfect and not take more than 30min!  I almost quit that very second.

But ART is not about perfection it's about being different and lucky for me I'm not perfect.  I'm flying without a net, trying to walk on water and failing and whistling in the dark and it works.  I'm imperfect, my drawing are imperfect and the result somehow touches a cord with people.  I start with a blank piece of paper and a (Winsor & Newton  0.3) pigment ink pen and have at it.  No tracing (I draw from a photo on my iPad), no pencil, it's all in a single go.  Many times I've started a drawing and thought, "well I've already messed this up" only to continue and have a good result.  I embraced my failure as a person whom draws.  

I've embraced the Japanese notion of "wabi-sari".  

In a different company, I once had a boss that wanted everything in his life to be perfect.  That included our flagship product.  I was the only one working on it and doing a ton of work and it was well received and selling well.  My boss demanded perfection by pointing out UI issues and proceeded to dress me down about how they sell this product for millions (yes really) of dollars and demanded I make it more perfect.  My response was "then maybe they should have more people on it than just myself!".  I almost quit right there.  He was a good person, just blinded by his his own vision of the world.

It would an interesting idea to design and create an iPhone / iPad app that is imperfect.  Not in a "doesn't work" way, but in a UI design way to make it interesting and pleasant.  Would that be possible for an App?

To all the old saggys in this world, keep it real.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...