Skip to main content

Raining Today

 If it's raining, I must be doing artwork.  Well, not all the time.  

This last week we where down a car as my cars starting was going out.  It started with a single "click" and no start, then later it got to be "click", "click", "click" before my car would start.  Only a matter of time before it would be "click"s all the way down.  It was a bit of a wakeup call to have to schedule my travel with Bobbie and Bobbie being priority.  Only latest a few days till I could get my starter replaced, but still a wakeup call.


Back to Barns.

Here is my latest barn drawing.  I've gotten very used to doing these and have been enjoying them.  It takes about 2.5 hrs to complete a single one with a short break while doing them.

My comfort level is getting high in creating these, but now I need to work on other styles as well.

On my watercolor that I did for my brothers friend, I did the painting but it was not "right" and felt very unfinished.  It took me a full day of thinking of how to address that.  I had thought of a couple of different tacks I could take but ended up using a overlay wash on most of it (different colors for each area) and it worked out very well.  You never know where a painting will take you.  The same thing happened to my during my art class.  I did not have a clue about the background and even tossed the first version because of the background.  On my second go I came up with a very different solution that worked very well.  Whew....  what a relief.

My ankle is in the final stages of healing where I can do almost anything I want (w/brace for rough stuff) with full strength in another 6 weeks or so.  Feels normal except for that dang soft tissue once in a while.

Anyway, enjoy and later...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...