Skip to main content

Dog Days of Summer



Summer heat is peaking and I'm looking forward to the waining temps.  We gotback from our trip back to Utah where we stayed at our empty house that is in-between renters.  Got to play fix-it man again for a while.  It's not that it needed a lot of help but more of keeping ahead of issues that where starting to appear.  Save now or pay big time later.  

Just before we got there some mice had chewed through some of the sprinkler valve wires, preventing a couple of the circuits from working.  Replace a couple of heads that still sprayed but did not rotate (just old age) and replaced the old toilets with new low flush volume ones.  The past tenant liked the old incandescent bulbs for some reason but kept my LED's, so I had to restore the LED's back to there proper place.  Garage opener bulbs needed to be replaced so there would be light if someone used the opener or entered the garage.  You know, small but important things like this.

Off all the time living at the house in Park City, we had never thinned the Aspen trees in the yard as they provided shade and beauty.  Well, now is the time.  There are so many of them that some are getting old (32+ years) and they all begat other aspens that now there is too many trees.  LowStump (Kamas tree service) is coming out to remove the dead ones and thin out of major clumps.  In total we are having about 25 trees removed.  It should look better and be better for the remaining trees too.  Fewer leaves to deal with in the fall too.

But it was not all work and no play.  I got to got fly fishing with my buddy Jim on the Provo.  Did have some luck in these dog days and caught a few.  Also got to hike the new trail to Blood Lake (yeah, sounds like a location for a horror flick camping spot) that Park City had made with the purchase of Bonanza Flats with Wasatch and Summit counties.  Lots of people hiking as they escape from the valley heat.  The trails had new facilities with bathrooms and post / rope boundaries.  Very nice and very full.

Nice trailhead facilities (one of 3) at Bonanza Flats.










Blood Lake, not bad at all










Mountain visitor a the PC house while we were there

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...