Skip to main content

Free Ranging It

Yes, I did retire from my last company.  If you use the definition of retire where it means that I'm financially independent and can do what I want.  The current term these days is F.I.R.E.  (Financially Independent, Retire Early) and its fits in my case, but the word denotes an end rather than a new beginning.

In alternate term I could use is graduate and I would use that if I felt that I left an educational setting, but it felt more like an escape from a chicken house (you can read the reviews here: https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Forcepoint-Reviews-E1262390.htm  Filter by most recent.  Note the 5 starts are a effort from management to prop up the ratings).  It now appears that the company maybe put up for sale by its parent, Raytheon.  The good times where over long ago.  So what other terms can I use?

Leaving and becoming one of the F.I.R.E people, it feels like moving from chicken coup to free ranging it.  No fences and plenty of food and sunshine, doing whatever interests you.  I equate a visual image of a chicken farm with caged chickens (aka an office kind of) vs chickens out on field (ok, not perfect but you get the comparison).

Free Ranging.  I'm liking that term a lot.  Free Ranging it is.

But unlike a chicken, I can load up a pack and explore my new open range and enjoy life on my terms.

I've known lifelong free rangers in my past.  They are the young RV based bloggers of today.  roaming far and wide while living life on their terms.  So I'm a little late to the party, but better late than never and I've got stability in my foundation.  I need not worry about ever being called back into the office for some critical issue or working about food or housing. 

I just get to explore my range... 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...