Skip to main content

Lots of Little Things

When I had a regular job (like 40/hr week, software engineering), my job was the over riding factor in my life.  It dictated when I got up, got home and what I did with most of my time.  So when I quit, my life changed quite a bit to say the least.

Some people have a single over riding “thing” in their life.  Good for them, I do not.  But what I’ve found out is that I have a bunch of little things in my life that can change over time.  I have or had:


  • Construction around the house (Bobbie tells me what to build)
  • Hiking (local with Bobbie, myself or Friends)
  • AT Hiking (This is NOT the same as local hiking and can involve longer distances 12+ / day) that does require driving a while to get to the next AT section).
  • Fly Fishing (Some local for a a couple of hours or distance for most of the day).
  • Video editing / creation (either in iMovie or Final Cut Pro).
  • Drawing (mostly ink pen with watercolors).
  • River Kayak / Tubing (summer time)
  • Art movies (there are 2 art movie theaters in Asheville).
  • Baking (half for myself and half for others.  Breads, Pies, Cookies).
  • Reading (Books, and magazines)
  • Some tech stuff (Swift, Blockchain, AI, etc.  Just keeping up)
  • Bike riding
  • Travel (once we don’t have to worry about our old dog 14+ years).
  • Local Travel (2-3 days away).
I’ve been a goal person, but this has been changing to a “journey” thing, as life is a journey and not a goal.  If I work on something now, I can leave it and pick it up later.  No (well almost no) timelines for what I’m doing.  This is OK.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...