Skip to main content

Change is Disruptive, Duh.


Just finished our big move from Park City, UT to Mars Hill, NC (by Asheville).  Long story of why we moved, but lets just say that, why not change everything while we are at it.  Plus, my wife wanted to try to live in this area after being in Utah for 30 years.

We still have our house in Park City (we are not fools mind you), that we have rented out.

(From the www.cosmichappycardass.com card shop in Asheville, NC)

So, lots of changes and we are still working out the last misc items that need to be addressed.  The first thing I noticed is the misc bills for switching.  Fixing all the small things in the old house being rented out and all the things to fix / change / add to the new house to make it more of our own.  An example of this is the light fixtures, the yard, the matching towels, yada yada yada.  Well it does come to an end and after a couple of months we are just about there.

Now comes the time to get into a routine.  Not the same old routine as the weather, locations, tasks have all changed.  For my wife, not too much different as she is a writer and her routine is writing.  Mine is a bit different as I've left work (not missing it for a second) and working on a new, somewhat related routine.  Lots to be worked out on this front and I'm working it out.

A factor that makes setting a routine difficult is that both me and my wife are here at the house most of the day or together when we are hiking, etc.  This is new and so I need to setup time for myself in getting things done.  This should get better when she starts up a new book as she just wrapped up her copy edits on her last book.  This should allow me to work on my projects.

All this is a round about way of talking about change.  Be it at work, personal or home.  When making changes, try to make it hard to fall back to the prior things that you are changing from.   Make it so are aware if you fall back into old habits that you no longer want.  Signs, locations, patterns, people, times, etc.  Try to create a supporting framework that keeps you moving forward.

For me, so much have been changed that I'm forced to keep moving forward, there is no other (or wanted) behavior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...