Skip to main content

It's Been a While

Time marches on and maybe e a decade or more has passed and you wonder what happened.

We'll, it has been over a decade with working for Oakley / Raytheon / ForcePoint "powered by Raytheon" (same job, different ownership / structure), but for the last number of years, I've been planning another path for myself.

Can't really complain about the job per say, good pay / benefits and people, but it NEVER changed.  That is a huge issue with me.  (this is all just my opinion you understand)  It maybe just my perception (I did ask others to confirm) but it's hard to see the same process, thoughts and actions or in-actions occur over and over, for more than a decade.  This would have been fine except the nothing else in life stays the same and this very much holds true for software companies.

What may have worked for a few customers may not work for twice as many customers.
Keeping all the old features and adding more and more features may not scale.
Releases appeared to be slower with fewer and fewer features.
Ignoring industry practices and trying to do things "our way" that resulted in features not getting released and nothing to show for the lost time and resources.

All of the above can apply to Apple's dark days, IBM (most of the time), Microsoft until recently.  These are not uncommon phases that a company goes through.  The company (like Microsoft) may even be profitable during the whole time, but loose relevance externally and talent and motivation internally.  Like me.

I needed progress, change and a sense of purpose.

I was hoping for changes that would never come, so I planned for my own changes as there was no reasons for keeping me.

So my planning timetable had me leaving my job and I did.  I had the means to quit and my own plans to follow.  There was nothing to keep me where I was.  I wish there had been but it did not exist.

I'm very happy on my new path.  I've found that it's hard to gain new perspectives on issues, problems, while still contained in a box.  I like being outside of the box as the view is much wider and vast.

The world is large and I've got much of it to explore.  I'm hoping to blog more often now.

Take care and enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...