Skip to main content

What They Said, What I Heard

I was sitting in a meeting last week on a WebEx call where the person on the call was describing some UI functionality in an application.  Video and all.   The behavior was a surprise to me (not in a good way) so restated my understanding of the operation to make sure I understood.  A very common practice of mine, but it can make me sound dumb at times.   On my statement, others around the table gasped and stated that I was wrong and the behavior was something else.  I had heard wrong!


Others around the table saw the same screens, video, heard the same words and had come to very different conclusion.  This only became apparent when I restated what I had understood.  To the shock around the room, my understanding was correct.  Their faces spoke surprise that what they thought was true was false.

This was a simple version.

When you apply statements made by developers to managers or QA to developers, the repercussions grow larger.  As we like to think that software development is engineering, much of the details of a project are only verbal.  It's hard to capture every nuance and detail in documents that others can and will read and understand.  Heck, even with words and video the details can be lost!

What does "Done" mean coming from a developer?
What does "Bug ridden" mean from QA?
What does a developer hear when PM describes how a feature works?

I run into this every day while working and I almost always need to respond with my understanding of the topic.  With some people you may need to cycle around 3 or 4 times to gain a common understanding of the issue at handle.

I've not seen a protocol or process that provides the communication and understanding to avoid this happening.  It's built into us to hear what we want or are expecting to hear.

You have to verify.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

A Trip Abroad

 Just back from our trip abroad as Asheville continues to recover from the hurricane.  This trip has been planned for a long time and we almost didn't make it because our dog sitting business will be closed for a while. But make it we did and now we are back. We love Amsterdam.  What a fun place to visit.  So many things to too and do there.  The weather was not the best but it did not have an impact on our visit.  Just bundle up. Got some quick painting in while on the boat (i.e., Viking) as we moved from port to port.  This painting is of a garden at a heritage site of windmills.  I thought it looked nice. Nice time on the trip to de-stress from what was happing back home.  We were fine back home but not everything is well with many others.