Skip to main content

Human Changes

For me, its the year of change.  There have been so many changes that have occurred this year that I have embraced them and am planning for more.

Besides the changes in my life, I'm continously looking for changes that occur in the world around me and here are a couple of my observations.  Of course they are only my opinion but it's food for though never the less.

It's the human (or so we would like to think) touch.  Apple's release of Siri and the enabling of using ones voice for information and operations has met with praise and imitators.   People criticize it for not being perfect, for it's limitations and quickly released voice assistants of their own.  But the point of Siri has been lost on many.  Siri is not about just providing another method of interfacing with a computer, but instead Siri is about trying to bypass the computer and providing human qualities in interaction with the user.  It's not about executing commands, starting applications and returning search results, its about being social.

Being funny, asking questions back, not understanding and just acting like a human is what Siri is about.  It's what makes Siri different and what I think Apple is going for.  It's not about the computer it about bypassing the computer and making the user feel good.

This brings me to my second topic on being human.  Space, work space.  Just like the the assemble line where workers are basically part of the machine, (the human robots of old), todays office workers are likewise part of an information machine.   They (aka we) have cubes (because that's the most compact shape), we have computers in the cubes and may even have laptop computers to carry from cube to cube (meeting cubes).

Apple is working on changing part of this with the iPad.  It removes most of the computer required interfaces and replaces with more human interactions, touch.  Almost no weight, mostly no keyboard, no mouse and not being tied to a power cord.  What's the use of a laptop if you still have to plug it in?  With the freedom of the iPad should (I would hope) reduce the restriction of the cube.

While I'm sure that office cubes will be around for a long time, do we have to provide cubes in the shape of cubes?  Can't we have cubes in the shape of Tessellation's?  The space would not be used as efficiently as cubes but it could provide the feeling of not being just a part of a machine.  There are some companies that have taken a like minded approach to flexible work space but the norm for now is to "pack them in".  Not a very human approach to the most important resource a company can ever have.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

A Trip Abroad

 Just back from our trip abroad as Asheville continues to recover from the hurricane.  This trip has been planned for a long time and we almost didn't make it because our dog sitting business will be closed for a while. But make it we did and now we are back. We love Amsterdam.  What a fun place to visit.  So many things to too and do there.  The weather was not the best but it did not have an impact on our visit.  Just bundle up. Got some quick painting in while on the boat (i.e., Viking) as we moved from port to port.  This painting is of a garden at a heritage site of windmills.  I thought it looked nice. Nice time on the trip to de-stress from what was happing back home.  We were fine back home but not everything is well with many others.