Skip to main content

Breast Cancer & Software

The Susan G. Komen "Stomp for the Cure" was last weekend.  I've been doing this event for about the last 8 years as it covers both my love for snowshoeing and supporting breast cancer research.  But this year has been different with the fiasco of Komen cutting off and then restoring funding of Planned Parenthood, in what was viewed as a very political move by some of it's leadership.

What does this have to do with Software.  Well it's about how an organization can confuse it's mission for it's self.  There was no confusion for their donors, the mission was women's health and not the Komen foundation.  The talk at the snowshoe was all about how they would not have participated if the funding was not restored, with many still very ticked off at Komen.

Back to software.  I suspect this is the same thing that happened to Microsoft in the mobile market.  They used to own the smartphone segment and being Microsoft, it appears they expected the market and developers to stay with Microsoft.  They didn't.  The iPhone was easier to use, beautiful and provided a larger benefit to users.  When the developer tools were released developers flocked to create apps for it.   Even though developers needed to learn a new language, libraries and framework (Objective-C, Cocoa, etc) they flocked to it.  Microsoft mobile fortunes dried up.

What was Microsoft's mission in mobile?  It appeared to be "because we are Microsoft" which does not mean a lot to consumers or developers.  Apple's mission appears to make products that are easy to use and beautiful to look at and hold.  Beauty evokes is a strong emotional response, you don't see may weeds in vases for valentines day.

So what is Google's mission statement.  Surely it must be more than "not Apple and not Microsoft".  And RIM?  They used to be enterprise security and communications, but that appears to be not enough anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

A Trip Abroad

 Just back from our trip abroad as Asheville continues to recover from the hurricane.  This trip has been planned for a long time and we almost didn't make it because our dog sitting business will be closed for a while. But make it we did and now we are back. We love Amsterdam.  What a fun place to visit.  So many things to too and do there.  The weather was not the best but it did not have an impact on our visit.  Just bundle up. Got some quick painting in while on the boat (i.e., Viking) as we moved from port to port.  This painting is of a garden at a heritage site of windmills.  I thought it looked nice. Nice time on the trip to de-stress from what was happing back home.  We were fine back home but not everything is well with many others.