Skip to main content

Striving to be Happy

Happiness comes from within.  When creating software for a living there are many times that I would rather be coding in a different language, designing a different app or at home with my slippers on an a Hot cocoa when working on my computer.  But most of the time I'm not.  I get paid for creating programs that others need, in the language that the project requires and in a place that is not my home.

So how can I stay happy?  Well, first I get paid, but more than that, they appreciate what I can provide for them and this provides me with much happiness.  This takes me a long way, but not all the way all of the time.

I need variety, new knowledge and something I can call my own.  For software developers, our applications, our code has a limited lifespan.  Sometimes we will work on a project and it's never used.  We will have worked on a project for months or even a year and it's thrown away.   Other times our code lives for a few years, to be replaced when needs change or it gets re-written.  We never really get the sense of benefits to the users.  We can feel out of touch.  I'm sure most users would never even think of the lives of the developers that created their applications (except when there are bugs) and what they put into it.

So what are we to do?  We do nothing.  We change jobs.  We slow down at work.  We try to change the language we use at work.  We try to change the process we use at work.  We get depressed.  We yell at others.  We do all sorts of things, that from an outside perspective, are not beneficial to us or others around us.

There is no one right answer to making yourself happy, but each person needs to look at themselves and ask themselves what would make them happy.  This can take lots of time, but it's only something that you can answer.

Forcing others to switch languages or process to make you happy should not be high on the list.   You would not want others telling you what to do to make them happy, so why should you?

Changing jobs may work, if (make sure it's the right if), this is truly what will make you happy and not just a pattern of change.  I've been in positions where it appears the company is really working hard to make their employees un-happy.

Slowing down and doing less (or worse) at work may be a self fulling prophecy, so you feel you have to leave.  It's hard to see how that would make anyone happy.

It can be hard not to strike out at others when your not happy.  But understand that this is a sympton and not a cure.

I'm still striving on what makes me happy.  I work on it all the time.  I find that focusing on small accomplishments are a big win.  I have a number of side projects going on that are not meant to bring in much value other that to make me happy.  Some I know I will never finish, others may only take one hour, but they make me happy and that suites me fine.

At work I find pleasure in finishing some aspect of what I'm working on.  It could be a design, a feature, a bug or talking with a co-worker and understanding how something works (talking to others is under rated).  It's the small things for me.  I don't worry too much about the bigger issues as they tend to get smaller as I attend to the smaller aspects.

In the end, I find I can be happy with small aspects of life.  If I look at all that is going around the world, then that is when I get over whelmed with it all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...