Skip to main content

Flatten It Out

I've been busy the last couple of weeks.  I've been working on my iPad application and again and I can see light at the end of the tunnel.  On the biggest challenges in it's development for me (besides learning all the different tools and technology) is the flattening out the user interface.

By "flattening out" I mean the work flow to 1) make it as fluid as possible with 2) very few dialogs or context shifts.  The end result should be as fluid as possible with the workflow as transparent as possible.  This has been fun.  One problem I had was with the selection of colors.  I could have used a spinner in a popup but did not like that solution.  I ended up using 16 predefined colors that they can select from and placing it right in the setting page.  This prevented a context switch and gave instance feedback.  The limit of 16 is not a problem as the app will be most effective with a limited number of graphic elements.  Solution solved.

Got my domain name already but will not set it up until the app is ready for iTunes.

More later....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

A Trip Abroad

 Just back from our trip abroad as Asheville continues to recover from the hurricane.  This trip has been planned for a long time and we almost didn't make it because our dog sitting business will be closed for a while. But make it we did and now we are back. We love Amsterdam.  What a fun place to visit.  So many things to too and do there.  The weather was not the best but it did not have an impact on our visit.  Just bundle up. Got some quick painting in while on the boat (i.e., Viking) as we moved from port to port.  This painting is of a garden at a heritage site of windmills.  I thought it looked nice. Nice time on the trip to de-stress from what was happing back home.  We were fine back home but not everything is well with many others.