Skip to main content

Mistakes

I'm only human.  I make plenty of mistakes.

Early in my career I thought that mistakes where to be avoided.  I rock climbed and mistakes could be at best scary.  In software development the mistakes I made were to be quickly forgotten as I was learning so fast I needed to focus on what I was doing.  Many of my mistakes were because of the fast pace of learning systems, languages, libraries and the like.  The software world was so large and I wanted to learn as much as possible.

I no longer try to know everything.  I just need to know just enough.

Now days I cherish watching and understanding how mistakes are made (including my own).  Many of my mistakes now days are still due to incomplete understanding of an issue., but it's far less than it used to be.  I now take time to think before deciding if I have enough information to provide valuable input.  I've also adopted the fortunate habit of asking what I call stupid questions.  These questions are to verify basic information about the issue and more important, finding the right person to ask the question to!

For a project of sufficient size there are any number of opinions about how someone thinks a feature should work vs how it should work.   Understanding who should be asked and the questions to ask are critical for a specific topic.

One of my habits is to listen to aspects of projects around the office to understand bits and pieces of what is involved.  When someone asks me a question, I can either answer them or route them to a better source of the information, during which I listen to the answer.  This again is hidden away in my memory for when / if I need it.  I basically repeat this for years until I amass a wealth of information about projects that have been or are being developed.

All of this helps me to understand enough information to lessen the number of mistakes I make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Current Desktop and Happy Vining.

It's been a big switch when I quit my old procession (Software Engineer) and ventured into the unknown.  So this is my current desktop.   First it's a REAL desktop and not a computer screen. Second, I've had to learn a whole new set of tools.  You would think a pencil is just a pencil and a paint brush is just a paint brush, but noooooo, they are tools into you mind and that's what needs re-tooling. The tactual nature of these tools and operation as much more rewarding (and frustrating too) than typing code in an IDE.   That had it's incentive but that well went dry and life changes,  so I changed. The pleasure of creating colors (no RGB involved) ad hoc wise is interesting.  Getting the technique to merge them on paper is very tough.  You do not know what you're going to get, so you just have to go with it. I'm glad that I can do a lot of other things instead of Software, but I hope that others in my past procession work on other pa...

3rd Try is a Charm

I've been trying to draw / paint these barns for a couple of years but never felt or got them right.  This time I think they turned out right. So What went wrong before and what's right now with this drawing?  This time, the light was right.  It's coming from the upper right and the shadows just looked right.  The other thing is the corn field on the left had to "be in season", otherwise it's just a plowed field.  I had taken other photos from different angles but they never felt right.  This angle has the road, power lines, corn field, etc. all leading to the right.  The shadows on the lower right helps fill in that corner (don't forget about the corners!).  The last part is trying to draw (ink paint maybe) the trees in the background.  Not so easy when they are kind of a blob is green shades. So yeah, it's composition that is king.  Many times I just don't see it until the drawing / painting is finished and when it's right it feels goo...

Thought Patterns

I know how I work.  How a think about, visualize a problem and go about mentally design a solution and implement it in code.  My thought pattern works pretty well for me on most occasions, but not always. There are times when I have a force myself to change my thought pattern because of the problem I'm solving requires a different mindset.  Anyway, this posting is about how I work most of the time.  Here is goes. I quickly break down a feature into operations that are required to exists and tackle that code first.  My thinking is that, if I can solve the primary issues first, then secondary features will fall into "known knowns" and I can address those at anytime (and sometimes at my leisure) and this allows me to meet my internal timeline. If I addressed features and operations that are not primary first, then I feel I risk my (and the projects) timeline without addressing issues that allow the feature to operate.  You may have seen this occur where...